Pages

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Genevieve Thul (3)

Genevieve writes:

I am a devoted reader (or viewer?) of painting2cancers as a young woman with thyroid cancer. Thyroid cancer struck at age 29, and it was a surreal experience. It didn't really sink in until I woke up in the recovery room - still intubated, I couldn't ask any questions. But when I heard the words "total Thyroidectomy with lymph node dissection I knew it meant I had cancer. I'll never forget that moment. I was a bridesmaid in my brother's wedding just 3 days after surgery, and wore a scarf around my neck. I am not self-conscious about my very "nice" scar, but it is symbolic of everything that changed in my life in that one short surgery. I blog about my cancer, life as a mom of 4, grad student, and woman struggling through her faith at