Pages

Friday, April 19, 2013

Annegret Soltau (152)

"My most important aim is to include bodily processes in my work and to use myself as a model – because I can go the furthest with myself." ~Annegret Soltau
 


  
 -TOCHTER mit Urgroßmutter, 
DAUGHTER with great grandmother,
 front and back, photo restitchings
from the series generative 1992-2005

 Annegret adds:

In these pictures I unite four generations of the female line of my family, who represent a female chain. I began with my daughter and ended with her great-grandmother. As a contrast to the patriarchal system of inheritance, I wanted to show the matrilineal connection and the interaction between the generations: the young girl already has the old body, and the old woman still has the young body inside her. The aim is to ensure that this painful process remains visible.



-schwanger, pregnant, photo etchings-

Annegret adds:

“I knew that what I wanted to do had to be done right then. I experienced my pregnancies as a return to my body”

My pregnancies in 1978 and 1980 became an important theme for me. This personal experience yielded pictures in which I once again used myself as a model, this time myself in the process of being pregnant. The fear that my role as a mother could jeopardize my life as an artist inspired me to create a great many photos and videos. At this point I was preoccupied with the question of how women combine creativity and motherhood. 


 

Mutter, Tochter; Mother, Daughter; 2001


Annegret Soltau